Health Advice

Mountain Sickness

People react differently to mountain sickness. Here are some tips to avoid problems:

  • If your health is not good or suffer from any conditions, please consult a doctor to see if you can come to Tibet.
  • During the first days at high altitude, take rest and don’t walk too much or run.
  • Drink lots of water, especially if you are above 3,500m and ensure that you go often to the toilet. The biggest health risks at altitude are edemas, which is a swelling of the body tissues caused by water retention. This can be avoided by drinking plenty of water.
  • Be attentive to your health and inform the guide if you don’t feel well, especially if you are above 4,000m.
  • In case of serious problems related to high altitude, it is imperative to go down to a lower altitude and at worst circumstance, leave Tibet if necessary. From where ever you are, we will bring you as soon as possible to the closest hospital or airport. Make sure you have a medical and repatriation insurance to cover all necessary costs.
  • There are also some medicines (both prescription and alternative) for mountain sickness such as Coca granules (homeopathic) and Aspegic 500 (prescription), and if altitude gives you headaches prescription medication such as Diamox can assist. In all cases, we ask that you seek advice from your doctor.
  • When you book a tour with us, we can link you to a medical specialist in mountain sickness for a phone consultation before your trip.


  • To avoid diarrhea do not drink tap water without boiling it first, avoid eating foods not well cooked (except fruits or vegetables you peel yourself) and do not take drinks with ice cubes in it (as they are usually made from tap water).
  • You can take medicine against diarrhea such as Imodium or Pepto-Bismol (please ask the advice from your doctor).
  • Ensure you are always well hydrated.

Please note that it is forbidden for guides to give you any medicines. In case of any health problems, you will have to bring your own medical kit, or go to a local chemist and or hospital.